The museum concept began in 2008, as the brainchild of City Administrator Greg Dietterick. Upon learning about the African American higher education institute, Seneca Junior College, that was located in Seneca from 1899 to 1939, Mr. Dietterick realized that there was a “story to tell” about the local African American community.
In 2009, the City of Seneca purchased the property belonging to the son of Mrs. Strickland as plans for the Museum continued. Dr. John Martin, Director and Curator of the Lunney House Museum, arrived in 2009 and later became a champion of the museum project. He brought Mr. Dietterick’s idea to many members of the local Black community and garnered the initial interest of the community for the project.