SwCC was founded in 1948 by the educator and minister G. P. Bowser under the name Southern Bible Institute in Fort Worth, Texas. The initial class consisted of 45 students.
School officials intended to buy property in Fort Worth to erect a permanent school plant. In the summer of 1949, the school had the opportunity to purchase the property of the closed Texas Military College in Terrell. It did so and relocated the campus that fall, changing the name of the college. The First President was E.W McMillan from 1950–53, having H.L Barber (1953-1956) and A.V Isbell (1956-1967) succeeding him. The Fourth President was Dr.Jack Evans, Sr begin the first black and longest serving president in the school’s history. His tenure was from 1967 to 2017. He was one of the longest serving college presidents in the United States, and the current president is Dr.Erivn D. Seamster, Jr.